Your views on groundwater flooding
Tuesday, 26 November 2013
As the lead local flood authority in the County, Hampshire County Council has produced a draft Groundwater Management Plan (GWMP) to identify and assess the nature and extent of groundwater flooding across the county and propose measures to address it.
The County Council is seeking views on the draft plan to make sure it is up to date and reflects people's views and experiences before it is finalised. In particular, the council would like to know:
- Does the plan accurately reflect your experience and understanding of the risk from groundwater flooding in your area?
- Are there measures which have been implemented in your area and not reflected in the action plan(s)?
- Are there any other reasonable measures which you think could address, mitigate or reduce the future risk of groundwater flooding in these areas?
The Groundwater Management Plan (GWMP) for Hampshire has been prepared in partnership with other risk management authorities including the district councils, the Hampshire Association of Local Councils, the Environment Agency, water companies and others. It builds on work undertaken last year on the Local Flood Risk Management Strategy for Hampshire.
Hampshire County Council's Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, Councillor Seán Woodward, said: "Hampshire has a known history of groundwater flooding. During the winter of 2000/2001 over 100 towns and villages across the county suffered significant flooding, with over 400 properties flooded and significant disruption and damage caused to infrastructure. After extensive evaluation and preventative measures being implemented by ourselves, Winchester City Council and the Environment Agency we are now looking to re-visit these issues in a new Groundwater Management Plan which seeks to provide a more current picture which we can work from."
All comments on the GWMP should be submitted to the County Council no later than 5pm on Friday 20 December 2013. Comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and marked 'GWMP Comments', or posted to:
Hampshire County Council
1st Floor EII Court West
- Further information about the County Council's work on flood risk management and the context in which work on the GWMP sits
- More NHS Health Checks in Hampshire to reduce the risk of developing diabetes
- Raising awareness of Traveller culture in Hampshire's schools
- An additional £1m to extend superfast broadband coverage to Hampshire's hardest to reach areas
- Hampshire gets ready for changes to special educational needs and disability support
- Hampshire County Council prepares ahead of national day of strikes