'Smart Swaps' for you this January in Hampshire
Thursday, 02 January 2014
Hampshire County Council is encouraging Hampshire families and adults to sign up to the new Smart Swaps campaign and make one small swap to their everyday food and drink to help them eat more healthily. You would be surprised by how much sugar you could cut from your diet by simply swapping sugary drinks for diet or sugar free versions, water or skimmed milk - up to three quarters of a bag (1kg) of sugar per family over four weeks.
"To raise awareness of Smart Swaps, we are working with Hampshire County Council Catering Services (HC3S) to ensure that simple food and drink swaps are available for staff and customers who visit our countryside parks, libraries and workplace cafes across Hampshire," explained Councillor Liz Fairhurst, Hampshire County Council's Executive Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health. "January always makes us want to eat healthily and this campaign makes it easy to start the year off with some healthier changes to your diet. Sign up to Smart Swaps and you will be able to get a free smart swapper packed with swap and meal ideas."
Hampshire libraries are also joining in with the campaign - you will be able to pick up a copy of the 'Taster Recipe' booklet, which contains easy ideas for tasty healthier meals, from your local library.
There are five simple Smart Swaps to choose from:
- swapping sugary drinks for diet or sugar free versions, water or skimmed milk
- swapping from full fat to reduced fat cheese
- swapping from butter to lower fat butter or spreads
- swapping sugary cereals for plain porridge, whole wheat cereal biscuits or plain shredded whole grain
switching semi-skimmed milk to skimmed or 1% fat milk.
Plus there are lots of other ways to make healthier swaps, for example by:
- swapping in fruit and vegetables to your meals
- swapping to smaller portions
- swapping from packed lunches to school dinners
- choosing healthier snacks.
Those who sign up to the Smart Swaps campaign will receive a free Smart Swapper full of healthier swap and meal ideas, money off vouchers, and fridge magnets, as well as supportive emails and texts throughout the month. A free Smart Recipes app will also be available with tasty, quick and healthier meal ideas, which can be downloaded from iTunes and GooglePlay.
- Share your views on the future of Hampshire's youth support services
- Innovative changes to be made to Hampshire's Household Waste and Recycling Centres
- Leading a step-change in health and social care services in Hampshire
- A tasty new mix for Hampshire's 'million' school meals
- Hampshire Ready for Winter