Hampshire Now - your County Council magazine

Helping Hampshire clear up after the storms

Saturday, 22 Feb 2014

Additional capacity at Hampshire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) has been arranged to help residents dispose of waste arising from the storms and flooding.

As people begin to clear up, Hampshire's 24 HWRCs are prepared for an increase in garden waste and bulky wood items, such as fence panels and posts.

Councillor Seán Woodward, Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment at Hampshire County Council, said:

"Our aim is to help Hampshire's communities get back on their feet as soon as possible after the storms and flooding. Repairing the damage to the highway network and ensuring businesses are aware of potential support available following Government announcements this week, are some of the priority areas we will be tackling.

"Meanwhile, we understand that people need to get on with their day-to-day lives, and we want to help them do this as quickly and easily as possible. Putting more capacity into the HWRCs will mean residents can get in and out easily during busy times.

"Please help us by separating recyclable materials, ready for the different bins as far as you can, and, if possible using the larger HWRC sites at Farnborough, Basingstoke, Andover, Alton, Bordon, Winchester, Segensworth, Gosport, Havant, Waterlooville and Marchwood."

Residents with fallen trees are advised to contact a qualified tree surgeon or chainsaw operator prior to undertaking any clear-up to ensure it is safe to do so. Householders may also wish to check with their home insurance provider before removing or disposing of any damaged materials, to determine if this is covered as part of their policy and to ensure it does not affect any claims. All HWRCs, except Alresford, have a container for mixed wood, and larger branches of up to one metre in length can be placed in this container.

Find out what rubbish we accept at our recycling centres.

Information on bin collections, please contact your local district, borough or city council

« News Calendar