Three Acre Paddock
Flanking the Pond, Three Acre Paddock was on too steep a slope to be useful for nursery production and so became one of the earliest areas planted by Sir Harold, starting in 1954. It was mainly planted to provide autumn colour and to this day provides one of the most striking vistas of the Gardens when viewed from the slope on the western side of the Pond.
A huge tree of the mountain gum (Ecalyptus dalrympleana) dominates the top of the slope. It is particularly striking in late summer when it sheds large areas of its grey and white bark.