HIV in Hampshire
The number of people infected or affected by HIV is continuing to increase, and it is important to remember that HIV is an issue for all of us in Hampshire, no matter which section of the community we belong to. There is still no cure or vaccine for HIV but advances in treatment now means that people with HIV have a positive future.
The Adult Services department is committed to supporting HIV initiatives
What is HIV?
HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. It is a virus that attacks the body’s immune system and increases the persons risk of developing a serious infection or disease.
What is AIDS?
AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. AIDS is a term that is used to describe the late stage of HIV when the immune system has stopped working and the person develops a life-threatening condition.
Find out more about living with HIV and Aids on the NHS website.
Where can I get support and advice?
Support from Local NHS services
If you are concerned that you have been at risk of being infected with HIV (or other sexually transmitted infections) testing is available throughout Hampshire through specialist sexual health clinics.Details of of all sexual health clinics in Hampshire:
- find a clinic open today or your nearest clinic at Lets talk about it
Testing is also available through many GP surgeries.
Support from Hampshire County Council
The Adult Services department is committed to supporting HIV initiatives and is here to help everyone understand their needs. If required, they will provide an assessment of your needs to see how you are managing and how best to support your individual care requirements and give you details of equipment that could help you remain independent.
You can ask Adult Services staff for advice and information about local respite services and whether they can arrange help for you, or you can approach other organisations to make your own arrangements.
In order to provide services, some personal information may be kept about you. This information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and will not be discussed outside of work, however the information you give us may be shared with your consent to obtain services which are suitable for your individual needs. All case records and financial information are kept safely stored.
- For more details contact Adult Services
Information and advice on all aspects of living with HIV.
Positive Action - includes links to all local and national organisations
Support from local and national organisations
- Lets talk about it - providing information, contacts and services on all sexual health matters in Hampshire, Portsmouth and Southampton
- Positive Action - emotional and practical support for people living in Hampshire (including Southampton, Portsmouth and South West Surrey)
- Groundswelltrust - practical home based support, befriending and advocacy
- The Body Positive - provides a range of complementary therapies, support, advice and information services. Based in Bournemouth
- National AIDS Trust (NAT)
- HIV aware
- Nam aids map
- Terrence Higgins Trust
- Children with Aids Charity (CWAC)
- Gay Men Fighting AIDS
- UN AIDS Site
- Specialist HIV Travel Insurance