Keeping your data safe
The Hosted School Service is designed with robustness and data security in mind throughout.
Our 'hybrid' cloud model stores data and resources locally in school but also at our data centre. Each user has a single identity which is obtained from the school's management information system; staff and learners need only sign in once to get access to all their digital resources, with user names and passwords appropriate to the age of the user.
Before you join HSS, we'll conduct a complete review of your school's current network infrastructure.
The performance of HSS is dependent on the quality and configuration of your local area network.
If you agree to any remedial work it will be done as part of the implementation of HSS and will then be maintained and monitored by us centrally. If your wireless network does need to be replaced or upgraded, we'll install equipment from Meru Networks. This can then be centrally controlled and managed. You can pay for the upgrade up front, or spread the cost over the life of the contract (doing so will attract an interest charge).
We'll install new cabling and switches if necessary, but we'll try to minimise changes to existing cabling and cabinets.
Where there is a new requirement for very high bandwidth, for example in a multimedia suite, then we can look into providing gigabit ethernet to those particular devices.
Your essential data is securely stored at server farms in our Winchester data centre. The data centre is a key component of a modern IT service, giving you the reassurance of business continuity by having vital data stored off site.
Hampshire IT’s new data centre was built in 2009 as part of the refurbishment of Elizabeth II Court. Your data is stored on approximately 600 physical servers and 1400 virtual servers, monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Data stored on the Distributed File System at all Hosted School Service sites is replicated up to the data centre during the day. Backups are taken overnight, and after 30 days your data is stored offsite for six months where we have immediate access to it if needed by a school in the event of a fire or other disaster.
Before you join HSS we will investigate how much data you are currently using, then we allow you an extra 50% to cover your future needs. Additional data storage can be purchased as necessary.
Hampshire IT is fully ISO 27001 compliant. This means we have to follow a strict code of conduct to maintain our information security management standards.
ISO 27001 covers these areas:
- Security policy - management direction
- Organization of information security - governance of information security
- Asset management - inventory and classification of information assets
- Human resources security - security aspects for employees joining, moving and leaving an organization
- Physical and environmental security - protection of the computer facilities
- Communications and operations management - management of technical security controls in systems and networks
- Access control - restriction of access rights to networks, systems, applications, functions and data
- Information systems acquisition, development and maintenance - building security into applications
- Information security incident management - anticipating and responding appropriately to information security breaches
- Business continuity management - protecting, maintaining and recovering business-critical processes and systems
- Compliance - ensuring conformance with information security policies, standards, laws and regulations
We recommend that you do not trust your children's data with an organisation or company which is not compliant with ISO 27001.