Moving To Hampshire?
Hampshire is an attractive county and a great place to live and work. The county is strategically placed to take advantage of excellent transport and communications links including Southampton International Airport and ferry connections to France and Spain.
Perhaps you're thinking of moving to live in Hampshire? The county has an unrivalled diversity of property in both urban and rural settings. Apartments on the seafront, thatched cottages in the Test and Meon Valleys and the New Forest, new executive developments adjacent to the motorway networks or character family homes in country towns like Alresford or Romsey.
We've put together some pointers for information resources to help you plan your move. If we've missed anything out that you think would be useful, do please let us know.
- Evolve - Our Directory of Services for the Community including clubs, societies, support groups and childcare
- Childcare - Information about early education, childminders, day nurseries, playschemes, creches and playgroups.
- Health in Hampshire - Contacts for GPs, Dentists and Health Authorities
- Local Government in Hampshire - Parish, Borough and City Councils
- Schools - Primary and Secondary education
Note: Inclusion of a link to another organisation's web site does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement of that organisation or site by Hampshire County Council.
When you move to a new area one of the first things you need to do is register with a GP. There are nine Health Authorities which cover Hampshire:
- Hampshire Primary Care Trust
- North Hampshire Primary Care Trust
- NHS Southampton City Clinical Commissioning Group
- NHS South
They will be able to provide you with contact details for GPs, Dentists, Opticians, Pharmacists and Hospitals in your area.
In addition, the Hantsweb Health Pages contain a directory of links to health and care related organisations throughout Hampshire and the world on subjects varying from Alzheimers Disease to Community Health Councils.
Nobody likes paying Council Tax but unfortunately its a fact of life these days! Find out more about the services provided to the community in your new local area.
- Parish Councils
- District and Borough Councils
- Portsmouth City Council and Southampton City Councils
- Hampshire County Council
A major consideration when moving to a new area is where the children will go to school. Hampshire County Council is responsible for the provision of state education for primary and secondary level pupils and a list of schools is available. Information is also available for schools catering for pupils with special educational needs.
Make sure you contact the school of your choice in plenty of time to ensure that a place is available for your child.
Schools in Hampshire are divided into geographic categories:
- Basingstoke, Fleet, Hook, Yateley
- Alton, Petersfield, Farnborough, Aldershot
- Havant, Waterlooville, Horndean, Hayling Island
- Fareham, Gosport
- Winchester, Eastleigh, Hedge End
- Totton, New Forest, Hythe, Fawley
- Romsey, Chandler's Ford, Andover, Stockbridge
Education & Training - including Schools, Colleges and Universities
Hampshire can boast an excellent selection of academic facilities for young and old alike. They range from schools, colleges and Universities for your children to adult education and Training Access Points for those of you wanting to learn new skills.