Milton Parish, just South of the New Forest boundary, is made up of many separate manors. Bashley was mentioned in 1053, and again in the Domesday Survey as being under Priory ownership. Domesday also mentioned Milton, Barton, Wootton, Fernhill and Ashley.
About 150 mediaeval deeds have survived, as well as Court Rolls, for the areas granted in his will by J. Fromond (died 1420) to Winchester College.
The church, North of the green, first mentioned in 1170 as linked with the Priory, now has associated chapels at Bashley and Ashley. The church register was started in 1654. There are also chapels founded in the nineteenth century by the Baptist movement, which was very strong at that time. Places of worship of other denominations are to be found in both Milton and Barton.
Barton's fossil beds are known worldwide, and at least 100 palaeolithic flints, some Bronze Age urns and various Celtic coins have been found in the parish.
The buildings of the National School (1835) were replaced by first world war huts before new Infant and Junior Schools were built north-east of the original site.
The coming of the railway in 1888 meant that the business centre moved to the Station Road area, and the consequent expansion of the town gave rise to the title "New Milton" by 1904.
From 1926 to 1932 the Parish was administered by its own Urban District Council. It was then absorbed into the Lymington Municipal Borough until 1974, when Local Government Reorganisation brought it under the jurisdiction of the New Forest District Council. From 1979 the Parish has incorporated the former Parishes of Barton, Bashley and Becton.
Artsway - A charitable trust for contemporary art...
Calshot Castle - Part of Henry VIII's chain of coastal defences to counter a European invasion
Hurst Castle - Built by Henry VIII, and used as a prison for Charles I
Lepe Country Park - Spend a day by the sea between the Solent and the New Forest
Lymington Keyhaven Nature Reserve
National Motor Museum, Beaulieu
Roydon Woods, Lymington - A Nature Reserve cared for by the Hampshire Wildlife Trust
St Barbe Museum - Established to tell the special story of the coastal strip between the New Forest and The Solent
The Solent Way
Tourist and Other Information sources
Local Tourist Information
Main Car Park,
Hampshire SO43 7NY
Telephone: 023 8028 2269
Local Information Point
New Milton Library
Hampshire BH25 6RW
Telephone: 01425 613668
Fax: 01425 620761
New Forest District Council,
Hampshire SO43 7PA
Telephone: (023) 8028 5000
New Milton Information Centre
2 Ashley Road
Hampshire BH25 6AS
Telephone: 01425 611971 (direct line)
Fax: 01425 619585
Textphone: 01425 626207 (for customers with hearing or speech difficulties)
Parking in New Milton
Public car parks are available around the town centre.
New Milton has a wide variety of pubs and places to eat in the High Street and surrounding area.
Access by Public Transport
Public Bus Services operate to New Milton from Bournemouth, Salisbury and Southampton.