The School Website Service user guide
Welcome and thank you for choosing to use the School Website Service to look after your website. This user guide is designed to help you develop your school website and keep it up-to-date.
All this can be done without the need for specialist web skills or installing any software, providing your computer meets the minimum specification.
The school website templates have been developed in association with schools and contain a default navigation that should be a suitable starting point for most school websites. This can be changed as required.
Each page in the default navigation contains ideas for content. You may wish to print this user guide before you start to use as a checklist.
This guide contains all the information you need to be able to develop your school website. However, if you need further information or if you have any comments about this guide, please use our online form.
If you would like to receive updates about the system via email please subscribe to our mailing list.
This user guide is a step-by-step introduction to:
- editing text on a current page
- adding and editing a new page
- making a page live
- deleting a page
- moving pages in the navigation
- creating links to internal pages within your website
- creating links to other external websites and email addresses
- uploading and using images and files
- downloading files e.g. Word, PDF and MP3 Audio Clips
- setting start and expiry dates for pages
- importing information from other packages e.g. Word files etc.
- changing page settings
- hiding pages in navigation
- changing site settings - e.g layout, colour, logo and email
- adding tables and applying styles
- applying a custom banner
- adding a Google map to your page
- creating web forms
- applying a Google custom search engine
- creating a Google calendar
- setting up a Governors Login area
- setting up Google Analytics
- embedding multimedia files into pages
- creating a quiz
- troubleshooting and frequently asked questions
- applying advanced styles
- applying personalised photos to your website template
- embedding a Twitter feed to site - new feature !