Teaching and learning
Wizkid is not just another ICT application; it is a community of teachers and learners. This page provides documentation and links to other sources to help teachers make the best use of Wizkid for teaching and learning.
"So... why would I want a learning platform?"
A learning platform:
- promotes independence
- aids differentiation and personalisation
- aids communication and collaboration
- enables pupil voice
- provides a safe working environment
- can aid communication with parents
The educational benefits of a learning platform
Wizkid is a suite of online web applications so it is very important to consider the e-safety of the students and others using the service. The link below takes you to the Hampshire County Council collection of e-safety web pages.
Resources within Wizkid
There are many teaching and learning ideas stored within Wizkid itself. Use your Group Membership tool to join these two global groups.
Wizkid Information global group and Hampshire Shared Resources global group.
You will also find global groups related to specific areas of the curriculum such as languages and design technology, as well as groups with curriculum resources from other organisations such as INTECH and the Hampshire Records Office.
Widgit Point and Insite in Wizkid
Schools can pay extra for an option to enable the Widgit Point and Insite integration features. These allow teachers to better use Wizkid with students who are special needs, early readers or those with English as a second language. The flyers and presentation provide guidance for teachers in how to best use Widgit symbols generally and in Wizkid.
- Widgit symbols and qualifiers
- Using the insite editor
- Styles of symbolising
- Symbolising content
- Wizkid and Widgit - PowerPoint from a Widgit.com training session
- 101 Widgit 101 ideas for using symbols
Widgit.com is an external site, Hampshire IT is not responsible for content on external sites.
If you are interested in this option for Wizkid, please contact the IT Help Desk.
Primary / Secondary Information Communication and Technology Strategy Groups
PICATS and SICATS exist to ensure effective 'management partnership' and consultative/liaison arrangements between schools and the local authority with respect to information management, communications and technology. The overall aim is to ensure effective collaborative working which maximises the beneficial impact of ICT on teaching and learning and on management and administration.
Primary ICT support groups
Several face-to-face groups meet to discuss the use of ICT in Primary schools. Hampshire Wizkid is often a feature of such meetings. Notice of meetings are usually advertised on the ICTprim mailing list.
These VLE based web sites are maintained by the Hampshire Inspection and Advisory Service and provide subject specific guidance and resources.
Real life examples of Wizkid in action
- Wizkid case study 1 - Anton Junior School 122kb
- Wizkid case study 2 - Langrish Primary School 117kb
- Wizkid case study 3 - Bentley Primary School 100kb
- Wizkid case study 4 - Grayshott Primary School 106kb
- Wizkid case study 5 - Ropley CE Primary School 155kb
- Wizkid case study 6 - Crondall Primary School 134kb
- Wizkid case study 7 - Connaught Secondary School, Newport Junior School, Belle-Vue Infant School 2mb
The Hampshire IT Schools newsletter has had several real world articles describing the use of Wizkid in teaching and learning.
- Spring 2011 - Winter of Wiz content
- Autumn 2010 - How Wizkid affects Ofsted outcomes
- Summer 2010 - Making a meal with Wizkid
- Spring 2010 - Wizkid stops snow woe turning learning into a no-go
Hampshire IT Training - find out about our Wizkid Training Courses.
Schools home page - This page (created by Hampshire IT) can be used as the home page for your browser in school; it has many useful links to child-friendly sites.
Hampshire County Council mailing lists - These mailing lists are a useful way to contact other teachers in Hampshire. ICTprim, ICTsec and Admin ICT are particularly active lists, and are a good way of asking for help regarding Wizkid.
ICT Video Help - Phil Bagge's website visually demonstrates use of Wizkid with an emphasis on the teaching and learning benefits. Phil is a teacher at Abbotswood Junior School. This is an external site; Hampshire IT is not responsible for content on external sites.
For urgent issues, call the IT Help Desk on 01962 847007. For anything else, see our contact page.