Updating your TVD virus protection
If your system was installed by Hampshire IT (formerly EdICT) prior to 26 July 2009, it should ‘auto update’ at a randomized time daily or weekly - this can be configured, checked or amended by following the instructions outlined in Option 1. If it was installed after this date, updates will be controlled by the McAfee ePO (ePolicy Orchestrator) server in Winchester.
If you wish to, or need to, manually update McAfee VirusScan, follow Option 2. You will only be required to complete the instructions listed in Option 2, if the automatically scheduled updates (Option 1) are not updating successfully.
Configuring Auto Update, or checking Auto Update is set properly.
- Right click V-shield icon.
- Click About McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.
- Look at the 'Created on' date.
- If this is within the last week, and you are certain that nobody has manually updated the machine, then that machine is set to Auto Update properly, and no further action is necessary at this workstation or server.
- If the 'Created on' date is at least a week old, Auto Update is in need of checking or setting.
- To check or set Auto Update: Right click V-shield icon.
- Click VirusScan Console.
- Double click Auto Update.
- Click Schedule button.
- Ensure Enable is ticked on the first tab.
- Ensure a sensible schedule is set on the Schedule tab. We recommend that you schedule the updates to take place outside of normal school hours.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 at any time after the schedule time that was set, to ensure Auto Update has performed.
If it has not, please contact the IT Help Desk.
Manually updating McAfee VirusScan.
- Right click the V-Shield in the System Tray.
- Click 'Update Now'.
- The 'Update In Progress' screen will appear.
- When the Update has completed click on 'Close' or alternatively allow the 30 second 'Auto Close' countdown to complete.
- Right click V-shield icon and click About McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.
- Look at the Created on date.
- This should be current (McAfee make a new update available to the Update Now facility, every week day).
If there is a problem with ‘Update Now’, please contact the IT Help Desk.
For urgent issues, call the IT Help Desk on 01962 847007. For anything else, see our contact page.