Land Charges

Standard Enquiries of Local Authorities (2007 Edition)

The CON29 Standard Enquiries of Local Authorities form is the Law Society's approved method for carrying out a Land Charge Search. The CON29 form is submitted via the district council. Where the district council is a unitary authority (i.e. Portsmouth or Southampton City Councils), then that authority will answer all the questions. Where the district council is not the highway authority, then the district will deal with the planning land charges whilst forwarding the highway, rights of way and common/village questions to Hampshire County Council. Hampshire County Council will pass the answers back to the district council who will collate all the answers and complete the response.

In 2007 the Con29 was divided into two spearate parts - Con29 R and Con 29 O. This is equivalent to the old Part 1 and Part 2, however the Con29 O can now be submitted independently. Please note the Con29 O now includes a new question - Q22. This refers to Commons and Village Greens. Formerly these were dealt with outsde the Con29 process by a CR21 form submitted direct to the County Council. The CR21 form was abolished under the Commons Act 2006 as from September 2007.Commons/Village Greens searches can now only be submiited via Con29 O Q22, via the district council.

A brief description of the CON29 questions is listed below. If you require any clarification of the highway, rights of way.and/or Common/Village Green responses for CON29 searches carried out by any of the district councils (other than Portsmouth and Southampton City Councils), please contact Hampshire County Council.

Con29 R

Question 2a

Highway status as included on the List of Highways Mainatinable at Public Expense (please note we will only confirm whether a road is publicly maintainable or not, we will not confirm the roads' extent ).

Question 2b

This is where the road is not currently adopted as a publicly maintianable, but is subject to a Section 38 agreement.

Question 2c

This is where the road is not publicly maintainable, but the County Council has the power to make up the road to adoptable standard and recharge each of the properties who have a boundary to the road, on a pro rata basis.

Question 2d

This is similar to question 2d, but in this case the road would be made up at the County Council's expense.

Question 3.2

Land Required from the property for Road Schemes

Question 3.4

Nearby Road Schemes - within 200 metres (approved by the council but not implemented or as notified to the council by the Secretary of State)

Question 3.5

Nearby Railway Schemes - within 200 metres (as notified to the council)

Question 3.6

Traffic schemes, stopping ups, minor improvements, residents parking, cycle tracks, pedestrian crossing and bridge construction (approved by the council but not implemented)

Question 3.7

Outstanding Notices relating to highways

Question 3.11

Compulsory Purchase Orders

Con29 O

Question 4

Major road proposals by private bodies - within 200 metres. Normally by a Section 278 agreement

Question 5

Public paths or byways abutting or crossing the highway as recorded on the Definitive Map

Question 22

Commons and/or Village Greens, registered under the Commons Registration Act 1965 or the Commons Act 2006, which affect or abut the property.