Reading groups are fun and rewarding in that they change the private and personal experience of reading into a shared one. Reading groups have become increasingly popular in recent years, with many libraries, bookshops and workplaces hosting meetings.
What we can do for Reading Groups
- annual membership scheme
- starter pack for new groups
- 8 week loans
- multiple copy sets (8-10 per set)
- reservations up to a year in advance
Groups for visually impaired people (VIP Groups)
Hampshire libraries host number of reading groups catering specifically for the needs of visually impaired people. Group members select a book title for each meeting and we obtain it in whatever format is most convenient - on cassette or CD, in large print or in Braille - so that everyone has a chance to read it and join in the discussion. All the groups welcome new members, whether visually impaired or not.
Find a reading group
- Reading Groups for Everyone - find groups near you or add your own group to the listings
- You can also check What's On
The Book Set Membership for Reading Groups entitles groups to borrow up to 12 reading sets per year for an annual charge of £15. Additional sets can be ordered at a cost of £1 per set.
Group must nominate a named individual who will act as the groups contact, and to take overall responsibility for any sets loaned.
Please visit your local library to join the Music Set Group Membership scheme
- Groups can borrow up to 2 sets at a time and keep them for up to 8 weeks.
- Reading Group Sets cannot be renewed.
No overdue charges apply, however, the complete set must be returned by the end of the loan period.
A charge may be levied for missing copies.
- Sets can be ordered up to 12 months in advance, early booking is advisable as some sets are very popular.
- When making a booking please check that the month before is free to allow time for the set to be obtained and transported to the pick-up branch of your choice. Check availability. (see, Fiction, Non-Fiction or Essential Skills).
- Sets can be booked using the·Booking request form, or via your local branch.
- To enquire about an existing booking, please contact your pick-up branch.
- Groups can order single copies via the regular reservations service, (standard charges apply).
After registering the group should deal exclusively with the branch where they have registered.
Reading Group Book Sets
February 2013 19 kB
Hampshire has a wide range of fiction, non-fiction and essential skills reading group sets.
Most sets have a maximum of 10 copies, (a limited number of large print and spoken word copies can be supplied to groups who have print disabled members).