News and events
Magazines for Loan
From gardening to motoring to family history - available for 7 day loan, no charge!
Download a list of titles 24kb
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops in Hampshire Libraries
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Try your hand at something new!
Would you like to find out about your ancestors or research your family tree?
Online genealogy sessions at Eastleigh Library from beginners to advanced.
Free Online access to 'Ancestry' 'Genealogist' and 'Find My Past'
- Monthly on Thursdays, 10am
- 1st Saturday of every month 2pm-3.30pm in the Community Room
If you like the idea of watching a film at home and getting together with a group of friendly people to discuss it, then join our new film group.
We provide the venue and the selected films - you take a DVD home to watch then meet monthly for a sociable relaxed discussion
- Mondays, 2pm-3.30pm monthly
Suitable for anyone who loves to knit or would like to learn. Natter while you knit! Wool and needles provided (or bring your own) Knitting patterns available.
50p charge per visit which covers tea & coffee and biscuits, wool etc
- Fortnightly on Fridays, 10am-12 noon (this group is currently full)
- Fortnightly on Thursdays, 2pm-4pm
The Reading Group meets on the first Wednesday in the month for an informal discussion on a wide range of books chosen by it's members
Refreshments/group membership 50p month.
- Monthly on Wednesdays, 2.30pm-3.30pm
Bodies in the Library: Crime Reading Group
Come along and meet up with people who enjoy reading crime novels to discuss what you have all read in a friendly and relaxed group.
- Monthly, on the 1st Friday of every month 2pm - 3.30pm.
Available at Eastleigh Library
Ancestry and The Genealogist and Find My Past
Hantsphere, 19th Century Newspapers, Times Digital Archive - also available from your own computer
The Eastleigh Local Studies Collection is housed in Eastleigh Library and centres on the Eastleigh Borough Council area but also covers the immediate surrounding area such as Southampton, parts of neighbouring districts, such as Winchester City. Eastleigh Library also holds a selection of material relating to the county of Hampshire as a whole.
You will find a wide range of local history resources including
Newspapers & Periodicals
- Eastleigh Weekly News, 1892-2001
- Southern Echo, 1888-1908 (April 1896 to April 1897 missing)
- Winchester Echo (Southampton), Apr-Aug 1989, April-June 1990
- Southern Daily Echo (Winchester Edition) 1-15 June 1995
- Southampton Herald, August 1823-September 1827
- Hampshire Advertiser, 1823-1854
- Gazette, April 1892-August 1894
- Basque Children of ’37 Association UK newsletter, numbers 2 and 5, 2004
- Hampshire Archives Trust Newsletter, 1997 to date
- Hampshire: County Magazine, 1951-2007
- Hampshire Field Club New Forest Section reports nos 7-8, 1968-9
- Hampshire Field Club Proceedings, 1887-2007 (bound to 1979)
- Hampshire Field Club Section newsletters, nos 9-10, 14-16, 18-19, 21, 27, 31, 1988-1999
- Hampshire Life, Mar 1999-Sep 2002, May-Aug 2008
- Hampshire Industrial Archaeology Journal, number 2 then number 5 on
- Westender, 2004-2009
Directories and Registers
- Borough of Eastleigh Industrial and Commercial Guide, 1982, 1984, 1986
- Eastleigh: 1935, 1949-2002 (incomplete)
- Kelly’s Directory of Southampton: 1923, 1931-1933, 1935-1936, 1938-1939, 1946, 1948, 1951, 1954, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966-1970
- Hampshire Directories on microfiche (inc Post Office, Pigot’s, Slater’s, White’s and Kelly’s):
Maps and photographs
- Map of current administrative areas in Hampshire
- Plan of wards in Eastleigh Borough
- Postcode map
- Copy of part of South Stoneham enclosure map (1825)
- Series of ‘Historical Eastleigh and District’ maps
- Goad plans of Eastleigh town centre, 1983 to date
- OS geological maps, Fareham, Portsmouth, Southampton and Winchester sheets
- OS land use maps, Southampton (including Eastleigh) and Winchester (including Chandlers Ford) sheets
- Map of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Hampshire
- Ordnance Survey NG 1:1250 (50 inches to one mile): good coverage of ‘current ‘ sheets for the present Eastleigh Borough area
- Ordnance Survey County Series 1:2500 (25 inches to one mile): good coverage of the present Eastleigh Borough area, with a selection of the earlier 1st - 4th editions
Census and International Genealogical Index
- Otterbourne 1841, bound copy
- 1881 census for Hampshire (Latter Day Saints fiche)
- 1901 census on microfiche for Chandlers Ford, Hursley, South Stoneham (Eastleigh), Twyford
- Hampshire Genealogical Society census index volumes 1851 and 1891
- Census reports, 1961-1991, includes population figures for Hampshire districts
- Borough of Eastleigh Official Guides, 1937-c1997
- Eastleigh and District Local History Society: Miscellaneous Papers, Occasional Papers and Special Papers, complete bound sets, with many Papers also individually bound at other locations
- Hampshire Archives Trust Annual Reports, 2005/6 onwards
- Hampshire Bird Reports, 1959-62, 1964, 1970-82, 1985-91, 1997-2001
- Plans of the old Eastleigh Library
- Photocopy of register of St Mary’s (Catholic) Children’s Home, 1884-1924
- Eastleigh ‘Scrapbook of the War Years’ including letters, reminiscences, an account of air raids, related documents (material gathered at request of Borough Council at end of war?). Now kept in document wallets in a plastic folder
- Eastleigh and District Heritage (VHS Audio Cassette)
- 1936 Eastleigh’s Royal Charter Year (VHS Audio Cassette)
- The Town now standing at Eastleigh (VHS Audio Cassette) (BBC documentary, 1986)
- Eastleigh Railworks 1925-1986 DVD
- Folk Heroes of Hampshire Cricket: John Arlott reminisces (cassette recording)
- Transcripts of Eastleigh Cemetery registers by B Chinchen in 2 volumes
- Eastleigh Cemetery: Burials 1933-1969
- Transcripts of registers of St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, 1805-1823
- Transcripts of Wesleyan Methodist registers, 1798-1837
Parish register transcripts (broad covering dates only):
- Bishopstoke 1813-1837
- Botley 1679-1837
- Brambridge 1721-1812
- Bursledon 1648-1837
- Chandlers Ford St. Boniface (microfiche): Christenings 1898-1976 Marriages 1910-1974 Burials1906-1953, 1956-1979
- Chilworth 1722-1837
- Eastleigh All Saints (microfiche): Marriages, 1954-1976
- Eastleigh Church of the Resurrection (microfiche): Christenings 1868-1965 Marriages 1869-1978 Burials 1868-1918
- Hamble 1679-1812
- Hound 1660-1812
- Millbrook 1633-1812
- North Stoneham 1640-1837
- Otterbourne c1642-1837
- South Stoneham 1663-1837
- Southampton All Saints 1653-1663
- Southampton Holy Rood 1653-1837
- Southampton St Lawrence and St John 1754-1812
- Southampton St Mary 1675-1837, with index
- Southampton St Mary Extra 1671-1812
- Southampton St Michael 1552-1812
- Hound Parish Council minutes, 1990-1991
- Eastleigh Industrial and Commercial Property Register, 1983-1990
- Printed reports and plans re Hedge End, West End and Botley, 980s and 1990s (includes development briefs, local plans etc)
- Documents concerning the Eastleigh Borough Local Plan, 2001-2011
- Documents re Eastleigh Borough Local Plan 1991-2001
- Local Plans for Bursledon, Hound, and the River Hamble, 1960s-1980s
- Documents relating to the development of the Stoneham Community Stadium, 1990s; includes development brief and transportation study
- Documents relating to the Hedge End Marks &Spencer’s/Sainsbury’s development, late 1980s: includes plans, impact statements, landscape reports
- Documents relating to the Southampton International Airport development, 1980s-1990s; includes development briefs, local plans
- The collection also holds a selection of documents relating to the development of Eastleigh town and other areas of the Borough for the period 1955-2000.
Small room with seating for up to 10. Flip chart/ whiteboard available. Small water heater, cold water jugs / plastic cups available for refreshments (on request)
The room has limited working space above locked cupboards, and a sink unit with hot and cold running water.
Eastleigh Library is situated on the first floor of the Swan Centre Shopping Mall. Lift available from the ground floor of the Swan Centre which takes you up to the Library entrance.
Plenty of short stay parking is available in the Swan Centre, on the roads and the long stay multistorey is a 5 minute walk away. Eastleigh Station about 10 minutes walk.
There is a café below in the Swan Centre and there is a large selection of pubs, cafés and restaurants within walking distance.
Available for use Monday - Friday 9.30am-4.30pm, Saturday 9.30am-3.30pm
- £5 for charities
- £7.50 for non-commercial hire
- £10 for commercial hire
VAT applies if equipment is used
For more information and bookings tel 02380 612646
|Public Computers||Yes, 12 computers|
|Printing||Yes, colour printing|
Yes, black and white and colour
A4, A3 and double-sided
|Local Studies Collection||Yes|
|Magazines for Loan||
Yes, 7 day loan, no charge!
|Self Service technology||Yes|
|Wheelchair access||Yes, and lift to first floor|
|Disabled Parking||Yes, available in the Swan Centre|
|Public Toilets||Yes, available in the Swan Centre|
|Baby changing facilities||Yes, available in the Swan Centre|
|VIP Reading Group||Yes|
Closed on Public Holidays