Teacher or adult helper notes
Gosport Discovery Centre was opened to the public in 2005. It contains four floors of books, reference materials, art, local history, museum exhibits, film, music and events, even a coffee shop... as well as a full range of library services. The Gallery is an integral part of the Discovery Centre and is a short walk across the pedestrian High Street. Museum displays on the Mezzanine are permanent, but Gosport Gallery runs a changing program of exciting exhibitions throughout the year.
Health and Safety
- The Museum on the Mezzanine and Gosport Gallery will remain open to the public during the session. This means that sometimes there might be other people visiting the same area as the children. For their own safety, please make sure that children are accompanied at all times by an adult and don’t let them wander off alone.
- There are toilet facilities on each floor of the Discovery Centre, but none at the Gallery. If children need to use the toilet, please make sure they are accompanied by an adult. Where possible, please try to make sure that children have been to the toilet at school before your visit.
- No food and drink is allowed in the museum during the sessions, to protect the collections.
- Please note the Fire Exit Routes in the Gosport Discovery Centre and Gallery buildings. If there is a fire, a bell will sound, please listen to the Session leader or Staff for instructions.
Your session will be led by a trained session leader. Children and adults are encouraged to look at and touch photographs, documents and real objects. If you have any questions during the session, please ask the session leader.
- To supervise the children closely for their own safety and to prevent damage to the collections
- To read the handling guidelines on the object table(s) to the children before they touch the objects
- To help the children to concentrate on one thing at a time, and to make sure they are not rushing about
- Adults often need to lead a group around different activities, reading instruction cards and making sure the children know what to do. There are answer cards to help you, and if you are not sure of anything, please ask the session leader for help. The session leader will also explain activities at the session start.
It would be helpful if any mobile phones are switched off during the workshop or onto silent if you need to be contacted. Thank you.