Local history online
You can read about how Gosport developed from a small fishing village to the town we know today. Perhaps you have wondered about the meaning and origins of some of the unusual placenames around the Borough, or about the old railway station?
You can find further information about other parts of the county at Local Studies Links (right).
Are you a local historian? Have you researched a local history topic?
We are keen to add more local history articles to the website, so let us know!
- Gosport postcards and photographs
- Local history resources
- The Origins of Gosport
- Place names of Gosport
- The Gosport Iron Foundry and Henry Cort
- The architecture of the Gosport Library and Technical Institute
- The Battle of Gosport Railway Station 1840-1841
- Gosport during World War II
- Martin Snape local watercolours
- Congregationalism in Edwardian Gosport 1901-1914: Character and Personalities by Roger Ottewill