Havant Library and Learning Centre
Services and events
Regular activities include Toddlertime, Reading Group and adult learning opportunities.
Pick of the month
A selection of the best new books, DVDs and CDs
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Small private room on the ground floor of Havant Library, with seating for up to 12. Flip chart available. The room has individual tables and chairs that can be put together in a number of ways.
Havant Library is situated on the first floor of the Meridian Shopping Centre. Lift available from the ground floor.
Plenty of short stay parking is available in the Meridian Centre car park.
Right next to Havant Bus Station.
Havant Train Station about 3 minutes walk.
There is a café below in the Meridian Centre and there is also a large selection of pubs, cafés and restaurants within walking distance.
Subject to other bookings, the room is available for use Monday - Friday 9am-4.45pm, Saturday 9am-4.30pm
- Standard £10 per hour, full day £60 (9am - 4.45pm)
- Community £5 per hour, full day £30 (9am - 4.45pm)
Local Studies at Havant Library and Learning Centre
The Local Studies section is housed in Havant Library and Learning Centre. Maps are stored in a map cabinet behind the enquiry desk and can only be accessed with the help of a librarian. The collection covers the area of Havant Borough and includes Havant, Hayling Island and Emsworth as well as some material for areas adjacent to the Borough.
Newspapers and Periodicals
- The News is held for 6 months. Earlier copies may be viewed at Waterlooville Library and Learning Centre.
- Local Life Community Newspaper May-December 1975
- Havant Messenger (Chamber of Commerce Magazine), May 1939
Directories and Registers
- Kelly’s Directory for 1899, 1931, 1935, 1939
- Copies of Directories from 1784 are held on microfiche
- Havant and District Directory 1959
- Old Ordnance Survey maps such as the Cassini series, and old 1 inch series are held
- Copies of maps and texts for Definitive Rights of Way for Havant Borough 2007/8;
- Main series is ‘Historical maps’, consisting mainly of: OS 6 inch NG (metric and pre-metric) and 25 inch series, with a few 6 inch Co Series interspersed,
- Goad Plans of Havant Town Centre
- Havant Borough Council; Havant Town Centre Plans for 1970s and 80s;
- Photocopy of Havant and Leigh Park shopping centre plans
- Copy of Conservation Walks and Rides in Havant and Isle of Wight 2005
Census and International Genealogical Index
- Census for 1881 and 1901
- Hampshire Genealogy Society surname index for the 1851 Census of Hampshire
- International Genealogical Index on microfiche is available
- Hampshire Record Office Wills Index
- 1991 Census Statistics for wards in Havant Borough
- ChichesterHarbour Conservancy and The Countryside Agency Landscape Character Assessment 2004.
- Copy of an Act “For Building a Bridge and Causeway from Langstone to HaylingIsland” 1823.
- Water Chemistry of the Hermitage Stream and origins of Pollution, by D. Duggan 1997 plus other publications on Hermitage Stream.
- Interim report on the Hayling Island Temple Excavations 1977;
- Hampshire County Council Report into The Warblington Experiment in CCTV 1965
- Historical Changes on the Hants Coast, Hooke and Riley, Portsmouth Polytechnic Publication 1987
- Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts publication on the Parchment Works.
Various local parishes.
Please check Parish registers in Hampshire for details.
|Printing||Yes, colour printing|
black & white, colour, A4, A3, ·double-sided
|Local Studies Collection||Yes|
Yes - VIP (catering for visually impaired people) and Children's (ages 8-11)
See What's on for details
Closed on Public Holidays