Services and events
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Songs and rhymes for babies and their parents/carers.
Songs and rhymes for Under 3s and their parents/carers.
Stories for Under 5s and their parents/carers.
From 4 May
BB&MB Book Club
Book Club for 6-11 year olds.
Second Thursday of the month, 4pm-5pm.
(no sessions in August)
Local Studies at Hythe Library
Hythe Library holds a comprehensive collection of local studies material relating to the covering Hythe and places such as Blackfield and Fawley. The collection is backed up by files of cuttings and indexes for various items such as maps.
Newspapers & Periodicals
- Hampshire County Magazine 1961 to 2009
- Hampshire Life 1998-2001
- New Forest Magazine 1998-2006
- Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club volumes 47-51 (on fiche)
- Hampshire Archive Trust Newsletter - Spring / Autumn 1995 &1996, Autumn only 1997 & 1999, Spring / Autumn 2000 & 2001, Spring Only 2002, 2004, 2005, Spring / Autumn 2006 to 2010
Directories and Registers
- Hampshire Directory 1784, 1792, 1828, 1844
- Pigot’s Directory of Hampshire 1823-1824
- Pigot & Co’s National Commercial Directory 1830
- Slater’s Directory 1852-1853
- White’s Directory 1859-1878
- Post Office Directory 1847, 1855
- Kelly’s Post Office Directory 1867
- Kelly’s Directory, 1875, 1880, 1885, 1889, 1923, 1972, 1974
Please note many of the directories listed above are held on microfiche.
- Hythe Library holds a large collections of historical Ordnance Survey Maps for the Hythe, Exbury, Lepe areas.
- HytheTown Centre Goad Plans 1997-1999, 2010
- Photographs are not kept in the public area and researchers should request them from staff.
Census and International Genealogical Index
- 1881 Census (birthplace index, census place index, Royal Navy etc)
- 1891 Census, New Forest (Fawley, Eling, Lyndhurst)
- 1991 Census District and Ward Statistics
- Hampshire record Office Wills Index
- Hampshire Genealogy Society Index to the 1851 Census
- Material relating to the Dibden Bay Enquiry - Hythe Heritage Centre has larger collection.
Council Minutes and Agenda
- Most recent only - please ask staff
Various local parishes.
Please check Parish registers in Hampshire for details.
Facilities include an induction loop, instant boiling water, a fridge and a dishwasher.
Wi-fi extends into the room and a ceiling mounted data projector with laptop connections will be available.
- £10 per hour for commercial hire
- £7.50 per hour for community use
For bookings and enquires telephone 023 8084 1457
|Public Computers||Yes, 7 computers|
|Photocopying||Yes, black and white and colour, A4, A3 and double-sided|
|Local Studies Collection||Yes|
|Parking on site||Yes|
|Disabled Parking||2 Blue Badge bays|
|VIP Reading Group||No|
Closed on Public Holidays