New Milton Library
News and events
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Local Studies at New Milton Library
The local studies collection at New Milton Library covers the area adjacent to the town and part of Dorset.
For many types of material covering the area the main collection is held at Lymington Library.
Newspapers & Periodicals
- Lymington Times 3 month file.
- New Milton Advertiser 3 month file.
- Lymington Historical Record Society Minutes 1955-61
Directories and Registers
- Christchurch 1969, 1972-73
- Bournemouth and Poole 1959, 1969, 1971
- Weymouth 1972
- Southampton 1967
- Lymington and District 1955 (NB. This item is in poor condition).
- Trade Directories are available on microfiche for the years 1784-1884
- New Milton holds a large collection of Ordnance Survey Maps covering the town and adjacent areas in the following scales 6” to one mile, 25” inches to one mile and 50” to one mile.
- Copy of Map of New Milton during World War Two showing Civil Defence precautions
- Local Airfields Maps for 1944
- Goad Maps of New Milton Town Centre for the 1980s-90s
- Modern Ordnance Survey Land Ranger and Explorer Series available in main library.
Census and International Genealogical Index
- Census Indexes for 1881-1901
- Census Hampshire Report 1991
- Hampshire Genealogical Society Census Indexes
- International Genealogical Index for Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire
- Various local parishes. Please check Parish registers in Hampshire for details.
- File of notes and reminiscences about life in New Milton in the past-includes details of shops, buildings, streets, etc. written in the 1970s
- Information folder concerning coastal erosion
- Cuttings, articles and reports concerning Barton cliffs and ChristchurchBay
Council Minutes and Agenda
- Copies of recent New Forest District Council Minutes are kept.
- 11 public computers
- free internet
- colour printing
- photocopying - colour, black and white, A4, A3 and double-sided
- DVDs, CDs, audio books
- Drop-in facilities for HCC staff
- hearing loop
- equal access toilet
- parking available - 1 designated bay for Blue Badge holders
- wheelchair access into building
|Monday||9am – 5pm|
|Tuesday||9am – 5pm|
|Thursday||9am – 7pm|
|Friday||9am – 5pm|
|Saturday||9am – 1pm|
Closed on Public Holidays