Twyford was part of the Hundred Hides of Chilcomb granted to the church at Winchester in the seventh century. In 964 King Edgar granted land in Twyford to Winchester Cathedral, and the manor was held by the bishop from the king at the time of the Domesday Survey. Twyford belonged to the See of Winchester until the mid-sixteenth century, when the manor was surrendered to the crown in 1551. Edward VI granted Twyford to his uncle, Sir Henry Seymour who also held the Manor of Marwell in Owslebury Parish at this time. The Manor of Twyford, together with land at Owslebury, was sold to the Mildmay family in 1857.
Twyford House was occupied in the eighteenth century by Dr. Jonathan Shipley, Bishop of St. Asaph, and Benjamin Franklin is thought to have written his autobiography there whilst visiting Dr. Shipley. Twyford School is the famous boys' preparatory school where Alexander Pope was educated.
The River Itchen flows through the parish and has made a consider able contribution to the economy of the manor and the village. The Domesday Book lists four mills at Twyford, and down the centuries the fees from the corn-mills were an important source of income for the bishopric of Winchester. Fishing rights were also a source of income as Twyford was famous for its trout fishing, and tolls were paid at locks and bridges as goods were conveyed by barges up and down the Itchen Navigation. Twyford Common was enclosed in 1855, and one of the chief village industries was brick-making.
Alexander Pope (1688-1744), poet, was sent to school at the age of eight at a house later called Seagers Buildings (demolished 1963).
In 1771 Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), American statesman, writer and editor who helped to draw up the Declaration of Independence stayed at Twyford House while he wrote the first part of his Autobiography.
Further information on attractions to discover in the area and other interesting villages to visit is available. For information on public services for Twyford please take a look at the Winchester local pages.