Wonston in the Hundred of Buddlesgate was one of the several lands granted to the church at Winchester. The Domesday Book records that the Manor of Wonston had always belonged to the Minster, and was held by the bishop at the time of the Survey 1086). At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 Wonston was transferred to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester.
As a large parish, Wonston was anciently divided into several manors: Cranborne, Norton, two Manors of Sutton and Wonston itself. The Manor of Cranborne was granted by King Edward the Elder to Hyde Abbey as part of the Hundred of Micheldever. The Domesday Book lists Hugh de Port holding Cranborne from Hyde Abbey, and descendents of Hugh de Port, the St. Johns in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and the Paulets in the fifteenth century, continued as tenants. The manor was sub-let to the Bray boef family and their heirs from the twelfth to the fourteenth century. In the sixteenth century Cranborne passed to the Twyne family who also held the Manor of Norton.
Norton, or Norton St. Valery, was held by Odo of Winchester at the time of the Domesday Survey, and passed to Guy de St. Valery in the reign of Henry 1. The manor continued in the St. Valery family until the early fourteenth century, when it was seized by the king and granted to Robert FitzPain. Norton was later granted to the chapel of St. Elizabeth at Winchester and remained so until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1544 the king granted the manor to Sir Thomas Wriothesley, who alienated it to John Twyne the same year. Norton remained in the Twyne family until the early seventeenth century when it was conveyed to Dr. Nicholas Love of Winchester College.
Of the two manors called Sutton, one was held by Odo of Winchester and the other by Robert, son of Gerold, at the time of the Domesday Survey. Both had been held by Earl Godwin in the reign of Edward the Confessor. The Scotney family acquired the manor which had been held by Robert, son of Gerold, in the thirteenth century; but the lands at Sutton had passed into the Sutton family by the fourteenth century and the manor now known as Sutton Scotney was owned by various people over the years. The family of Sutton held lands in Cranborne and Sutton manors for centuries.
The other part of Sutton Manor which had belonged to Odo at the time of Domesday passed into the St. Valery family as did the Manor of Norton. Like Norton, Sutton belonged to the college of St. Elizabeth in Winchester, was granted to Sir Thomas Wriothesley at the Dissolution, and was finally acquired by John Twyne. The hamlet of Sutton Scotney belonged to the Twyne family until it was finally merged, together with the Manor of Sutton Scotney, to the other part of Sutton Manor.
Further information on attractions to discover in the area and other interesting villages to visit is available. For information on public services for Wonston please take a look at the Winchester local pages.