A contents list will help your reader to find specific items quickly and easily. It can be useful in reference documents and reports.
Word can create a table of contents very quickly using heading styles. See Word's on-screen Help for extensive information on creating a table of contents.
- make sure your contents list is clear
- consider if leader dots would help the reader to scan the contents list
- decide if section headings would be clearer in bold
- match your contents list to your section headings
- number each page or item if possible
- double-check page references after your text is finalised
- check your cross-referencing.