West Down to Stockbridge
This part of the route uses an old dismantled railway line to lead you down to Stockbridge. The river is always beside you, peeping through the trees, passing the villages of Leckford and, across the river, Longstock.
Stockbridge's wide main street rests on a chalk causeway built over the seven streams that make up the River Test.
The water criss-crosses the high street, where you can take a break from your route to feed the huge trout or explore the many antiques and crafts shops, galleries, pubs and cafés.
Distances 3 miles, 1-2 hours
- Mayfly Pub, Westdown, tel 01264 860283
- Peat Spade, Longstock, tel 01264 810612
- Grosvenor Hotel, Stockbridge, tel 01264 810606
- The Vine Inn, Stockbridge, tel 01264 810652
- White Hart Inn, Stockbridge, tel 01264 810475
Places of interest
- Houghton Lodge Gardens, tel 01264 810502