back search


Staying at home

Find wheelchairs and walking aids

If you are having difficulties walking and require a walking aid or a wheelchair for getting around you may find the information below useful.


  • For permanent or regular use
    available from the NHS wheelchair services, however a referral needs to be made from your GP

  • On short term loan
    available from the British Red Cross usually for a loan period of six weeks. You will need a letter from your GP

Safe travel in your wheelchair

Powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters


Walking aids

  • Permanent walking aids
    need to be dealt with by the physiotherapist, and a referral would need to be made by your GP

  • Temporary aids
    can be hired from the British Red Cross




In this section…