back search


Living with disabilities and long term conditions

Interpreters for Deaf sign language users

Although Hampshire County Council does not provide interpreters, we will sign post you to BSL/English interpreters who can provide more information on their services.

British Sign Language/English Interpreting services

Hospital and doctor interpreting service

If you have an appointment with your GP or hospital and you need a BSL interpreter please contact your GP/hospital to book a BSL interpreter. The GP/hospital are responsible for booking a BSL interpreter. Please give the GP notice to book a BSL interpreter. This is funded by the local Primary Care Trust. Don’t forget that it is your right to have a qualified interpreter for medical appointments.

Police Link Officers for Deaf People (PLOD)

Police Link Officers are available with sign language, lipspeaking and Deafblind manual skills to communicate with people, to give information and advice, and to provide a link to other police departments.


Related websites

  • Signature promotes excellence in communication with deaf and deafblind people

  • ASLI - Association of sign language interpreters

  • NRCPD - National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People

Hands signing

In this section…