back search


Financial help and advice


The Government is introducing a number of changes to the welfare and benefits system. These changes are intended to simplify the current system for claimants, reduce costs and encourage people's responsibility and attitudes to self-help. The most significant changes are highlighted below.

Hampshire County Council does not administer or provide benefits to the public. However, if you are having an Adult Services financial assessment, as part of this process the Financial Assessments and Benefits team will make sure you are claiming the benefits you are entitled to.

Specific benefits

Important changes to the welfare and benefits system in 2013 are:

Universal Credit

From October 2013 Universal Credit replaces monthly benefit  replaces a number of the current benefits for people of working age which comes into effect

Benefit Cap

- Benefits will be limited per year to a maximum of:
£26,000 (£500 per week) for a family
£18,200 (£350 per week) for a single person
Exemptions include those receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and those who have recently been in employment.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64 from 8 April 2013.

Council Tax Benefit

This will be administered by the local district, borough, or city council.

Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans

These loans have been abolished but if you are struggling to cope financially you can visit the Local Welfare Assistance pages

Interim Payments and Social Fund Crisis Loans

These will be replaced by Short Term Benefit Advance (STBA) from April 2013, which will cover short term financial crisis caused by a delay in benefit payments

Budgeting Loans

These loans for large household items will continue to be available to people who have been claiming the following benefits throughout the past 26 weeks:
Income Support (IS)
Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) (income based) this will become Universal credit
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (Income Related)
Pension Credit

Organisations that may be able to help


People with an illness or disability




People on low income or job seeking




  • Cold Weather Payment - made when the local temperature is an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days
  • Winter Fuel Payment - an allowance to help older people with their heating bills

Death & bereavement

  • Funeral payments - to help pay funeral costs if you're on a low income
  • Bereavement payment - a one-off, tax-free, lump-sum payment
  • War Widow(ers) Pension - if your wife, husband or civil partner died as a result of their service in Her Majesty's (HM) Armed Forces or during a time of war


In this section…