back search


Financial help and advice

Your financial information

Once you have been advised by the Council that you are eligible for social care services the amount of money it will cost to meet your needs is agreed, this is called your Personal Budget. You will also be told that you may need to pay something towards your care depending on your financial circumstances.

We need to know about the money you have coming in and going out to make sure you only pay what you can afford. Please gather together the documents, receipts and so on that will help work out the money you have available to pay for your care before your financial assessment appointment.

The FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team will give you a summary of how your maximum weekly contribution is worked out during their visit:

Your Savings

If you have less than £23,250 or when your savings fall below this amount, the financial assessment will look at both your savings and income.

Money and assets

Below are some examples of money and assets that you may or may not need to use to pay for your social care services.

Money and assets that you WOULD NOT need to use:

  • the value of the home you live in
  • savings below £14,250
  • income from employment
  • Disability Living Allowance Mobility Lower/ Higher Rate component
  • Pension Credit savings credit
  • age related payments, such as the Winter Fuel Allowance
  • income and savings of your husband, wife or registered civil partner or anyone else you live with.

Money and assets that you WOULD need to use:

  • savings between £14,250 and £23,250.
    These are converted into your ‘tariff income.’ That is, for every £250 or part thereof, £1 a week is added to your income
  • the value of any property you own but are not living in
  • cash over £250
  • certain compensation payments
  • pensions – pension credit guarantee credit, retirement, war, work/private pensions
  • annuities
  • charitable payments
  • income support – above basic levels
  • employment and support allowance
  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability Living allowance (Care)
  • Incapacity benefit
  • severe disablement allowance
  • joint money – only where you have a legal entitlement to your partner’s income; or welfare benefits for both are paid to one of you; or you have a joint bank or building society account. You can ask the FAB team for a joint assessment. Although this is optional, it may benefit you as we will use whichever assessment results in a lower contribution by you.

Your outgoings and expenses - money that you WOULD NOT need to use:

  • household expenses such as: mortgage payments, rent, council tax. (we would deduct any housing or council tax benefits you receive)
  • disability related expenses, including special equipment e.g. stair lifts, extra bedding/laundry/ Incontinence pads
  • personal care you already pay for
  • help with cleaning
  • help in the garden
  • transport costs (unless you receive the DLA mobility allowance)
  • special diet which is a medical requirement
  • community alarm, unless we have provided it as part of your services
  • daily living expenses – this is all your living expenses including utilities and loan/debt repayments
  • general living expenses such as food and clothing. We must use standard allowances set by the Government which are based on Income Support or Pension Credit benefit levels.

In this section…