Extra Care housing

About Extra Care

With Extra Care housing you have a home of your own, but with care and support on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It is sometimes called Housing with Care, Close Care, Very Sheltered Housing or Assisted Living.

Visit our information and advice pages at Connect to Support Hampshire for more information about Extra care and other housing options.

Providers of Extra Care

Extra Care housing can be provided by a local authority, a housing association or a private company. You can rent or buy it, either by yourself or as a couple. As with places in care homes, the local authority may be able to assist you if you have eligible needs.

Eligibility for Extra Care paid by the Council

To be eligible for Hampshire County Council funded Extra Care you must have an assessed care need and housing need. If you already receive care from the County Council speak to your allocated care manager or social worker.

If you do not currently receive care from us you can request an assessment of your needs.

Request an assessment of your needs

If your partner or spouse has different needs

Applications for Extra Care are assessed on need, but only one of you has to have an assessed care need. Several Extra Care schemes have flats with two bedrooms which are ideally suited for couples who want to stay together but require separate bedrooms.