back search


Hampshire Archives and Local Studies

Access Restrictions

Why are some classes of record subject to a 100 year access restriction?

In order to ensure compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 Hampshire Archives and Local Studies Service has to restrict and monitor public access to any records which may contain personal data. We have a particular duty to protect sensitive personal information which may relate to a living person. For that reason a 100 year access restriction applies to several classes of record, including hospital records, school records, criminal records and the records of social care. These records cannot be produced in the public search room in the usual way.

How will I know if a record is subject to an access restriction?

Restricted records are clearly identified as such in the online catalogue. The detailed catalogue entry for each item will note if an access restriction applies and will usually tell you when the restriction expires. If you are in any doubt about what access conditions apply to a particular document please contact us well in advance of your visit or before you submit a research application.

Can I use a restricted record for general historical research? (for example, use a restricted school log book for research into the history of a school)

Restricted records cannot be made available in the public search room in the usual way, but sometimes it may be possible for staff to supply information from the restricted item in response to specific questions which are submitted as part of a paid research application. Please contact us to discuss your research needs.

Can I request information about a deceased person from a restricted record?

Yes, but we may require you to use our paid research service and in some circumstances you will be asked to provide a copy of a death certificate to prove that the person you are researching has died. Information may still be withheld if there is a possibility that its release could cause substantial damage or distress to living friends or relatives. Applications are considered on a case by case basis.

The protocols governing access vary according to type of record, so please contact us before starting your research. We will be able to offer advice on the availability and relevance of records and, if appropriate, help you make a formal application for the information they may contain.

What if I think that HALS holds information about myself?

Under Data Protection rules you have a statutory right to request information about yourself which you think we may be holding. Please contact us for advice on making an application.

Will I be able to see the actual record?

Even if you have been given permission to access information about a named individual, we cannot allow you to handle any volume, file or record that may contain personal information concerning a third party. Information supplied in response to a formal application will normally be posted or emailed to you, and will take the form of document transcripts or, if appropriate, photocopies, scans or digital photographs.

Your responsibilities as a researcher

As a researcher you have responsibilities in respect of personal data. When you obtain such data from records held by HALS you assume responsibility for compliance with the Data Protection Act.

This duty extends to personal data that you may come across in records which are not subject to a 100 year access restriction. You are responsible for looking after that data and for any subsequent use you make of it. Please read our Data Protection leaflet  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 26kB.

Full guidance on the provisions of the Data Protection Act can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website.


Your responsibilities

In this section…