back search


Children's Services

Bullying advice and information for parents and carers

What is bullying?

Bullying is persistent verbal or physical aggression that a person feels is physically or emotionally intimidating. Bullying can happen anywhere. It can mean being attacked, mocked, humiliated, threatened, made to feel worthless or hurt in other ways. It can be face to face,by rumour, text or the internet. It is unacceptable and needs to be dealt with quickly. Parents including carers want their children to be safe, confident, happy and caring members of the community. If you think your child is being bullied, act immediately. Children who bully also need help from their parents and other organisations to understand why they bully others, and to change their behaviour. Some children become bullies because they have been bullied themselves.

What are the signs that someone may be bullying my child?

What can I do if I think my child is being bullied?

Encourage your child to deal with bullying by:

Help your child feel happier by:

If the bullying is happening in school

If, after a reasonable amount of time, you feel the bullying is not being dealt with, ask the school for its complaints procedure.

What can I do if my child is being bullied on the way to or from school?

‘Where bullying outside school is reported to school staff, it should be investigated and acted upon.’ Reference: Preventing and Tackling Bullying: Advice for headteachers, staff and governing bodies. DfE March 2014.

A restorative approach is usually ideal, as sanctions can make matters worse. Fear of reprisals following sanctions is often what prevents young people reporting bullying.

Useful reading: "Help! I'm being bullied" by Dr Emily Lovegrove.

What can I do if I think my child is being bullied outside school?

This information is also available as a PDF leaflet. Download Acrobat Reader to view this PDF 569kb

For a large print version of this brochure please telephone 01962 846398. You may also request a copy in Braille, on audio cassette, on disc, and in other languages.


For further information, advice or support in Hampshire

National advice and helplines:

In this section…