back search


Children's Services

Concerns you may have

What do I do if I am concerned about my child's progress at school?

As a first step, you should consult staff at your child's school. Through the Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs schools are required to work with you to meet your child's needs. They will make provision themselves, ask people outside the school to help them, and make sure that the County Council is informed when necessary.

How is an educational psychologist asked to give advice about my child?

Staff often ask the advice of an educational psychologist by telephone or by using the regular meetings that are available to all Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (SENCos) in Hampshire. School staff might ask you to join them meeting an educational psychologist in school or at consultations run regularly in the community. It will not always be necessary for the educational psychologist to work with your child. If this is the best way of helping plan for your child the school will ask for your written permission.

What will the educational psychologist do?

The educational psychologist will listen to the school's concerns about your child and the details of what the school has already done to meet your child's needs. You will already have been involved in discussions with your child's teachers about his or her progress.

With you and your child's teachers EPs will plan the best way to help your child progress. This will involve planning teaching strategies, setting goals for learning or behaviour, and finding ways in which home and school can work closely together. This will be recorded as a shared action plan and a review date set.

If your child has not yet started school, EPs will work in the same sort of ways with you and others who may be involved with your child. EPs may work with you and your child at home or in his or her pre-school group.

What do I do if I am concerned about my child starting school?

You may have already been involved in discussions with your health visitor, doctor or another person working with your child about his or her progress. With your consent they may contact the Educational Psychology Service to ask for advice on giving your child the best start at school.


In this section…