back search


YouthTube - for young people in Hampshire

Getting around

Want to get to college, your training, apprenticeship or job?

By car/moped

If you’re between 16 and 25 and

  • You can’t drive

  • You can’t use public transport

  • You need to get to work, training or an interview

  • Are looking for work

The Council can loan you a moped for three months to a year, which will help you get to and from your job, training or job interviews.  

We had a cup of tea and a chat with Robert, who’s renting a moped on the scheme at the moment.  He uses it to get to his job at Premier Inn. He told us a bit more about how it works and how it’s helped him out. Listen to his interview below

And here’s the important stuff

How much does it cost to rent a moped?

To loan a 50cc moped from us costs £17 a week if you are under 21 and £17.50 if you are over 21.

To loan a 125cc moped from us (for longer journeys) costs £19 a week if you are under 21 and £20 if you are over 21.

Do I need a license?

You must have at least a provisional licence for motorbikes, which is down to you to get, and pass your CBT. If you haven't already passed your CBT we can arrange your test  for you and even pay for it.  

What about insurance and stuff like that?

We will pay for the tax and insurance, together with full breakdown and service cover. We will also make sure you have a helmet, gloves, high visibility jacket, a locking device and Compulsory Basic Training (CBT).

Who do I contact for more info?

Our Wheels to Work Co-ordinator can explain more about the scheme and give you an application form.  Call 01425 481546, or you can email us.

If you are in New Forest and Test Valley, contact,

If you are in Winchester and East Hampshire, email

Alternatively you can also call us at the Council on 01962 846785 or email us at

You need to make sure that there is someone who knows you professionally, (anyone supporting you in work, your job search or training) who can provide a reference to your application.  This could be your manager or someone from the Youth Service or Job Centre.  Please ask our Wheels to Work Co-ordinator for more information on who would be suitable if you are not sure.

  • Taxishares and carshares - if a bus no longer operates in your area, a taxi or private hire vehicle can pick you up instead. Under 16s travel for half price.


By bus


By train


By ferry

A Young Persons Railcard will  give you a third off fares.


Useful information when travelling aboard -

  • Find out about the country you are visiting. Check out the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's Travel Checklists.
  • Do you need a visa? Many countries outside of Europe require one.
  • The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. Apply for a card.
  • You should find out where the British Embassy or Consulate is in the country you are visiting. If you lose your passport, run into problems with the police or have any other trouble, they will be able to help you.
  • Let people know your travel schedule and ways to contact you if there is an emergency at home.
  • Make copies of your passport, visas, insurance and tickets and leave a copy at home.
  • Plan your budget and give yourself a bit extra for emergencies. Useful budgeting sites include:,,
  • While your bank card will work in many countries, it is a good idea to carry some cash, traveller's cheques, travel passports, prepaid travel money card, and a credit card as well.
  • Keep your money, traveller’s cheques and passport in a money bag out of view.
  • Don’t hitchhike. It isn’t safe anywhere – even if you’re with a friend, you’re still taking a risk.

Travel Insurance

When you travel aboard it is important to purchase travel insurance. Comparison websites include:

Please remember the comparison sites do not compare all travel insurance companies, so you may want to look at individual sites.  Also if you will be engaging in extreme sports please check if the policy will cover you!


Travel to college

The Council may be able to help you with travel to college if you have a disability or learning difficulty.  We may be able to provide a taxi, for example, to help you get to and from college.

How do I apply?

To apply, you’ll need to complete a SEN5/6 transport application form, which your school or college will have available. Alternatively, email for more information.

To apply you must

  • Be under 19 years old on 1 September in the year your course starts

  • Had a Statement of Educational Need (SEN) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) throughout your time at school, or have a particular medical condition which means you need help with transport.  This must be explained in a note from your Doctor.

Your journey to college must

  • be more than three miles away from your home

We also consider

  • your ability to walk

  • if you need to be accompanied by an adult (usually parent or guardian) and their ability to walk

  • if you have brothers or sisters that need to be taken to a primary school, but this is nowhere near your college and means that your parent or guardian couldn’t accompany you or take you to college themselves.

Assistance is available with travel to the nearest college that provides the courses you need to do to help you with your career. We may also help you with travel if you are still at the same school but are in sixth form instead.

We will ask your parents or guardians to contribute £525 a year towards the transport costs. But, if your parents are in receipt of Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (income based), Income-Based Job Seekers’ Allowance, or Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190), we will not ask for this contribution.

If you have to study outside of Hampshire as a boarding school/college student because of your disability; (if you need special help) you may be entitled to free transport to get to school or college when each term starts and ends.



In this section…