back search


Special Educational Needs

What if the Local Authority decides that your child does not need a statement?

After the Local Authority has completed an assessment of your child’s SEN, it may decide that your child’s school can provide special help for your child’s SEN without the need for a statement.

During the statutory assessment a great deal is learnt about your child's needs from you and a range of professionals. The information and advice gathered will be extremely useful to your child's school and other professionals involved with your child.

A ‘note in lieu of a statement’ will be drawn up. It includes:

A copy of the ‘note in lieu’ will be sent to the school (unless you don’t want us to share this information with them) and will be used by the school to help them find the most appropriate support for your child.

Find out more….

What if you disagree with the Local Authority’s decision?


In this section…