back search


Special Educational Needs

What information, advice and support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) and their parents and carers?

You may find it useful to contact the following services:

Hampshire Parent Partnership Service

The Parent Partnership Service provides confidential and impartial advice, information and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities throughout Hampshire. Their service is available to all families for whom special educational needs play a part.

Their service offers:

What help can the Parent Partnership Service give to young people with SEND?

If you have a question about special educational needs and/or disability, and are not sure who to ask, you can talk to the Parent Partnership Service about it. They are working with others to identify impartial information, advice and support services for young people.

If you require any assistance or advice please visit the Parent Partnership Service website for further information.

Independent Support

Independent support is an additional targeted service available to parents/carers and young people during the Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment process. Once the local authority decides an EHC needs assessment should go ahead or when you receive a letter about transferring from a statement of SEN to an EHC plan you can request support from an Independent Supporter. They will offer impartial advice and guidance during the assessment process.

In Hampshire Independent Support is available from Parent Voice and the Parent Partnership Service. All Independent Supporters will receive national independent training commissioned by the Independent Support Programme.

If you are going through the assessment process to transfer your child’s statement of SEN to an EHC plan or applying for an EHC plan for the first time and you need additional support please call 0300 303 8604 or email to discuss this.

Further information on Independent Support is available on Hampshire's Local Offer website.


In this section…