back search


Admission to school

Advice for UK Service families

Hampshire County Council recognises the disadvantage frequently experienced by UK service personnel as a result of the fact that they can be moved at short notice.

Many Hampshire schools have extensive experience of working with service families and children. Areas of the county significantly affected by service personnel include Gosport, Marchwood, Wallop, Odiham, Aldershot, Winchester, Fleet, Shipton Bellinger etc. Portsmouth and Southampton are unitary authorities each with a separate School Admissions Service.

Hampshire’s approach to the admission arrangements for service children is in accordance with paragraph 2.18 of the School Admissions Code (December 2014).

Have you received official notice of your move to Hampshire?

For service families with official proof of posting to Hampshire and of a relocation date, a Unit postal address, quartering area address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application.

Applying for a school place to start in September 2017

If you are applying for your child to start school for the first time, transfer from infant to junior school or to start secondary school in September 2017, and are:

Relocating to Hampshire from elsewhere in England, you must:

Relocating to Hampshire from overseas, you can:

Applying for an immediate school place (in-year application)

Further information about applying for a place in-year is available in the Guidance on applying for a school place in-year section.

Exceptional Admissions

Sometimes it may be possible for a child of UK service personnel to be admitted to a school even when it is full. Admission authorities may admit a service child (outside the normal admissions round) over the legal infant class size limit of 30 pupils without the need for an additional teacher. Hampshire's Fair Access Protocol also includes a category for children of UK service personnel. Children covered by the protocol may be admitted to a full school in year groups not governed by infant class size legislation.

In areas where there are many service children seeking places, exceptions may not be possible. In deciding whether a service child can be admitted, the County Council must consider:

Hampshire Admission Forum

The Hampshire Admission Forum monitors outcomes for service families.

Additional support for service families

The Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) provides a dedicated service for service and MOD families providing expert and impartial advice about the education of service children. Their contact details are on the GOV.UK website.


In this section…