back search


Admission to school

Address Information

On your application you must provide your child’s permanent address on the application deadline (even if you are planning to move after the deadline). Either during the application process or when you are offered a school place, you may be asked for proof of address, usually recent household bills. When you accept a place for your child to start school for the first time you will also be asked for evidence of the child’s date of birth and address.

If your child lives at different addresses during the week, you may put only one address on the application as your child's permanent residence. Children who spend part of their week with one parent and part with the other, at different addresses, must use the address at which they spend most of their time. This address will be used for the purpose of determining your school catchment area and distance from school. Your child is expected to live at this home address at weekends and during school holidays as well as during the week.

If the address on your application is not your child’s normal address, then you must provide a Child Arrangements / Residence Order, issued by a court, if you wish us to consider that address.

If you move house before the application deadline you must amend your online application or submit a new paper application form.

If you move house after the application deadline you must contact the County Admissions Team in writing with evidence of your new address: exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement (usually for 12 months duration) will be accepted as proof of address. You may subsequently be asked to demonstrate that the child is resident at the new address and any place offered may be withdrawn if this evidence cannot be provided.

If you are applying from outside England, you may use a Hampshire address if you have one, subject to the same evidence requirements as above, i.e. exchange of contracts or signed tenancy agreement (usually for 12 month duration) or evidence that demonstrates ownership of a property. If you cannot provide this, you must use your current address in your application. You may subsequently be asked to demonstrate that your child is resident at the new address. Any place offered may be withdrawn if this evidence cannot be provided. You must also provide a copy of the parent’s and child's passports and visas before we can offer a school place.

For service families who are currently living in Hampshire or with official proof of posting to Hampshire and of a relocation date, please refer to the advice regarding evidence of address on the dedicated web page for Service Families .

Address warning

Places are withdrawn every year because parents give a false address on their application. This includes cases where parents buy a property solely to use its address in the application without any intention of taking up permanent residence there. The County Council will investigate all allegations of false addresses and may monitor residency details particularly if use of a temporary address causes concern.


In this section…