An early mention of Itchen Stoke occurs in 960 when King Edgar granted the manor to the Bishop of Winchester. By Edward the Confessor's reign the land belonged to Romsey Abbey, as confirmed by the Domesday Book, and remained so until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. The manor was then granted to Sir William Paulet (created Marquis of Winchester in 1551) and remained with the Marquesses of Winchester until the Commonwealth period. The Parliamentarians confiscated much of the property in the hands of Royalists and Itchen Stoke was given to Walter Strickland and others. At the Restoration the fifth Marquess of Winchester claimed the manor; his son was created Duke of Bolton in 1689 and the land belonged to successive Dukes of Bolton until the early nineteenth century, when it was sold to Alexander Baring (created Lord Ashburton in 1835).
The Manor of Abbotstone in Itchen Stoke was held by Hugh de Port at the time of the Domesday Survey, and stayed in the same family for seven centuries, finally leaving the descendents of Hugh de Port in the early nineteenth century.
The old Parish of Ovington was mentioned twice in the Domesday Book, firstly as being held by the bishop and secondly as being held by St. Mary's Abbey, Winchester. Possibly it was held by St. Mary's from the bishop, as the land had formerly been held by Archbishop Stigand. The revenues from the Manor of Ovington supported the nuns of St. Mary's until 1284 when it was sold to the monks of St. Swithun's Priory (Winchester Cathedral). The manor belonged to St. Swithun's until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it was transferred to the newly-formed Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral. The manorial rights were in dispute between 1855 and 1859 when the Baroness van Zandt came into conflict with the Bishop of Winchester, but the estate passed to the Hewson family in the early 1860's.
Further information on attractions to discover in the area and other interesting villages to visit is available. For information on public services for Itchen Stoke and Ovington please take a look at the Alresford local pages.