back search


Property Services

Gypsy and Traveller Service

The Gypsy and Traveller Service deals with and gives advice on Unauthorised Encampments that occur on public-sector owned land throughout Hampshire. The services provided encompass the welfare of Gypsies and Travelers who are on these encampments, whilst also dealing with the legal system to ensure the Travelers are moved on and the site cleared of rubbish and made secure. Private land owners will also be provided with advice, guidance and legal options on dealing with these encampments.

In addition, staff from the Gypsy and Traveller Service will provide advice and guidance on Gypsy and Traveller matters generally and are jointly working with all district councils within Hampshire, and the unitary authorities of Portsmouth and Southampton, to coordinate plans to provide further suitable accommodation for the Gypsy and Traveller community, in line with obligations under the Housing Act 2004.

Advice for people affected by unauthorised encampments


In this section…