back search


Hampshire Registration Service

A civil marriage and civil partnership licence for your premises

If you own a hotel, restaurant or other suitable building in Hampshire you can licence your premises for civil marriages and partnerships.

The Approved Premises Licence

The licence applies to specific locations within named premises and is not transferable.

It specifies individual and identifiable room/s for the purpose of ceremonies where civil marriages may be solemnised and civil partnerships may be formed. Only rooms specified in the licence can be used for this purpose.

There is no limit to the number of rooms that may be specified. We recommend that all potential rooms are included in your application. If you wish to add rooms to the licence at a later date this will require a new licence and will incur the full licence fee.

You will receive a reminder in writing advising that your licence is due to expire, 6 months prior to the date of expiry. The renewal process is the same as the initial application, the same procedures will need to be carried out.

Applications must be made by the proprietor or a trustee of premises. When made on behalf of a limited company there should be a separate statement of the names and addresses of all the directors.

An approved venue for the purpose of marriage and civil partnership must be a permanent immovable structure comprising of at least one room, or any boat or other vessel that is permanently moored. Marriages or civil partnerships cannot legally be held in the open air, in a tent, marquee or any other temporary structure.

You cannot get a licence for

  • A garden
  • Your house unless it is made available for the public to use during the term of the 3 year licence and a “change of use certificate” has been granted from your local planning department
  • A ‘one-off’ ceremony

Applying for a licence

For an Approved Venue application complete the online application form.

Or contact Registration Services
tel 0300 555 1392 call charges
Phone lines open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4pm

In order to process your application you will need to provide a scanned or paper copy of the following documents

  • One copy of the plan(s) of the premises clearly identifying the rooms to be licensed
  • Documentary evidence of the premises public liability insurance to a minimum value £5 million, including the expiry date.
  • A copy of your “change of use” certificate if applicable

In making this application you are confirming that any additional planning consent required has been obtained.


Licencing costs

An Approved Premises licence costs £2,050.

This covers a full inspection by a Registration Officer and by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service.
A public notice is placed on Hampshire County Council's PNA portal by Hampshire Registration Service. Upon satisfactory completion of these inspections the licence will be issued for a period of 3 years less one day.

Payment can be made by BACS or cheque payable to Hampshire County Council.


Arranging the ceremony

It is the responsibility of the couple marrying or forming a civil partnership (in approved premises)

  • To organise and pay for the attendance of the Hampshire County Council registration officers. It is not permitted for anyone else to conduct civil ceremonies in approved premises.
  • To arrange the necessary booking of the ceremonies room and associated facilities within the approved premises directly. No booking can be confirmed, however, unless the Registration Service has been notified and has confirmed that registration staff will be available to carry out the ceremony.

Contact us

Telephone 0300 555 1392
Phone lines open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4pm

Outside office hours
If someone is terminally ill and you need to speak to a Registrar about an urgent marriage or civil partnership, or you need to arrange an urgent funeral to comply with specific religious beliefs, tel 0750 7777 534. Please leave a message outlining the details of your emergency and a contact telephone number, a member of our team will return your call as soon as possible.


If you are refused a licence, you can appeal in writing to the Head of Registration stating the basis for your appeal.

There will be a £350 charge for this review which is required in advance of the appeal being processed.

Religious Premises

Helping businesses with licences and regulations across Europe

In this section…