back search


Hampshire Registration Service

Getting married in Hampshire

Where to get married?

You can have a civil ceremony at one of our registration offices or approved wedding venues or a religious ceremony at a church or religious building.

Civil marriages in Hampshire

To help you arrange your marriage you will need to speak to a Registration Officer during register office opening hours (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm).

Our Contact Centre 0300 555 1392 is open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4pm. If you make contact outside register office opening hours, Contact Centre colleagues will take your details and ensure that a registration officer returns your call the next working day.

basing room

Here are some of the comments our customers have shared with us after visiting The Basing Room at a recent open day event ~

  • Thank you, fab room, all clearly explained and looking forward to it

  • Beautiful room! you were all very helpful and patient….looking forward to it now!

  • Thank you for helping us plan our special day in the gorgeous room! See you next year!

  • Fabulous room, great introduction to level of service we can look forward to, brilliant, can’t wait til the big day!

  • Gorgeous space – can’t wait for our big day!

Religious marriages in Hampshire

To get married in a church or other religious building, you will need to contact the person in charge of the church.
More information on religious marriages

Getting married outside Hampshire

You can get married at any registration office or approved venue of your choice.

Getting married abroad

Find out the rules for marrying abroad.

If you need assistance or legal paperwork phone 0300 555 1392.

Important information about changing your name

You can pick up a form at the Post Office to have a passport issued in the name you wish to use immediately following your Marriage or Civil Partnership or download the form from GOV.UK

The form must be signed by the Register Office or Minister conducting your ceremony and cannot be sent to the Passport Office more than 3 months before your ceremony.

For further guidance please contact your travel company to confirm requirements or contact the Passport Office to clarify the current situation regarding processing times for passports.


To arrange the date and time of your wedding at...

A Hampshire Registration Office

tel 0300 555 1392 call charges
Phone lines open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4pm

A Hampshire approved venue

Contact the venue to check availability and agree a date, then contact us tel 0300 555 1392 to book the registration staff. The venue must be booked before an appointment to give a notice of marriage can be made.

A non-refundable booking fee is payable at the time of the provisional booking of a Hampshire venue to secure your selected date/time. You will be charged a further booking fee if you subsequently change the date or time of your provisional booking. Although a provisional booking can be made well in advance of your proposed ceremony date, you cannot give notice of marriage more than 12 months before the date of your marriage. Once a notice of marriage has been given, any change of venue will result in a fresh notice having to be given.

A venue outside Hampshire

You will need to make arrangements with the local registration office and approved venue in the district.

Cancelling a ceremony

If you need to cancel a ceremony you have already paid for you must confirm the cancellation in writing. Payments will be refunded depending on the notice given:

  • Three calendar months or more – full refund

  • One to three calendar months – 50% refund

  • Less than one calendar month (or failure to cancel) – NO refund


The General Register Office provides useful information about getting married in England and Wales at GOV.UK

Notice must be given in the district in which you have had residency for the previous 7 full days

Giving notice

It is a legal requirement for both parties to give notice at least 28 days before but no more than one year before a marriage. A fee of £35 each (£47 if subject to Home Office referral scheme from 2nd March 2015) is payable by card or cash.

The waiting period after giving notice is now 28 days, with cases who have been referred to the Home Office may extend to 70 days

Making an appointment

If you live in Hampshire (not Southampton or Portsmouth)

You will need to contact us, tel 0300 555 1392

Please arrive on time or your appointment will be re-scheduled. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please let us know. Please also ensure that you bring all the correct documentation. If the relevant documents are not produced it may be necessary to re-schedule your appointment.

If you live in Southampton or Portsmouth

If you live outside Hampshire but are getting married in Hampshire, you must ensure that your marriage authorities are sent to the appropriate Hampshire registration office.

Foreign Nationals subject to immigration control

Notice of marriage, must be given to a 'designated' registration office, for Hampshire this would be Winchester Register Office, Aldershot Register Office or Eastleigh Register Office.

Urgent weddings (Registrar General’s Licence)

In the event of someone who is terminally ill wishing to marry, it is possible to do this in a short time scale. Contact your local registration office on tel 0300 555 1392.


General Register Office Document Checklist

It is a pre-requisite of taking a notice of marriage that we are able to satisfactorily prove your nationality and that you are free to marry. Therefore we must be able to link any documents that you are producing to prove nationality and marital status to you in the name you are using on the day you give notice. So for instance if you are producing a birth certificate as proof of nationality and the name you are currently using is different to that shown on the birth certificate, you must produce a document showing how you got from your birth name to your current name, which might be in the form of a marriage certificate or perhaps a change of name deed.

If you are producing a Decree Absolute or a Death Certificate for a late spouse, which is in a different name to the name you are currently using, you must again be able to prove the link between the two names.

If you were born after 1983, do not have a passport and are producing a document to prove nationality of a parent, which is in a different name to the one shown on your birth certificate, we will also need to see a linking document (i.e. marriage certificate or change of name deed) to prove the connection. For instance if your mother and father are divorced and your mother is re-married, her passport may well be in her new married name, which will not be the name shown on your birth certificate. So we would need to see the marriage certificate for her second marriage in order to link her to her previous name as shown on your birth certificate.


The Ceremony

After you have given notice of marriage, you will receive a pack which will include additional information to help you plan your ceremony. Staff at our registration offices will be happy to discuss any aspect of your ceremony to make sure the day is perfect for you. We will be on hand to guide you through the ceremony so there is no need to worry about a thing!

Once you, your guests and witnesses are seated, the ceremony will begin with a welcome by the Registrar. You will be asked, in turn, to repeat solemn legal declarations and your vows. You can find the options detailed in your marriage pack.

After you have made your marriage contract, you and your witnesses will sign the register. The registration officers will then also sign and present you with your marriage certificate.

Example Order of Ceremony

  • Background music of your choice can be played as your guests are seated
  • Entrance of the couple (either together or seperately)
  • A welcome and introduction
  • A reading by a member of your wedding party (optional)
  • The definition of marriage according to the law
  • Declaratory Words
  • The "giving away" of one or both parties (optional)
  • Contracting Words (vows)
  • Any personal vows or promises (optional)
  • The exchange of rings (optional)
  • Another reading by a member of your wedding party (optional)
  • Announcement of couple as husband and wife/husband and husband or wife and wife
  • The Signing of the Marriage Register
  • Presentation of Marriage Certificate
  • Photographs
  • Exit of the couple

Any music, readings or additional vows should be of a non-religious nature, and must be confirmed in advance to ensure their suitability for a civil ceremony.

Important - Please read before choosing your readings and additional vows.

We have a suggested reading pack  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 416kB and additional vows  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 150kB, to give you some ideas.



Legal preliminary costs

A fee of £35 each is payable for Giving Notice (£47 if subject to Home Office referral scheme from 2nd March 2015).

Marriage, Civil Partnership and Civil Partnership Conversion ceremony costs

Fees quoted include the cost of one certificate and the non-refundable booking fee. For costs of extra certificates please see below.

  • Register Office Ceremony Rooms
  • Goldings, Wellesley Suite, BasingstokeThe Basing Room, Castle Hill, Winchester
  • Approved Venue (e.g. licensed hotels etc.)
  • 2015/2016
  • Register Office Ceremony Rooms
  • Goldings, Wellesley Suite, BasingstokeThe Basing Room, Castle Hill, Winchester
  • Approved Venue (e.g. licensed hotels etc.)
  • 2016/2017
  • Register Office Ceremony Rooms
  • Goldings, Wellesley Suite, BasingstokeThe Basing Room, Castle Hill, Winchester
  • Approved Venue (e.g. licensed hotels etc)

Basic ceremony

A basic ceremony for a limited number of guests costing £50 is available at a number of locations, please contact us for further details.

Marriage Certificate

You will receive one marriage certificate on the day included in the ceremony fee. Additional certificates requested on or before the ceremony day are £4 each and posted to you within one week of the ceremony.

Civil Partnership certificate

There are two types of Civil Partnership certificate, the standard certificate which shows all the details, and the extract which shows everything except the couple's addresses. Certificates of either type requested on or before the ceremony day are £4 each and posted to you within two working days of the ceremony.

If you need additional copy certificates after the day, the cost will be £10.

Attendance at a Religious Building

Registrars attendance at a religious building (registering a marriage) £90 including one marriage certificate.

Online Payment

Once you have booked your ceremony with Hampshire Registration Service, and given your notice of marriage/civil partnership, you can pay the balance of your ceremony fee online. You will need to input your Ceremony Reference Number which is on the Customer Account Receipt issued with your booking confirmation letter.


Celebrate in Hampshire brochure

Hampshire's Approved Venues

  • Choose from a wide variety of Approved venues

Ceremony Feedback

Book an appointment online

Pay online

Contact us

Telephone 0300 555 1392
Phone lines open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4pm

Outside office hours
If someone is terminally ill and you need to speak to a Registrar about an urgent marriage or civil partnership, or you need to arrange an urgent funeral to comply with specific religious beliefs, tel 0750 7777 534. Please leave a message outlining the details of your emergency and a contact telephone number, a member of our team will return your call as soon as possible.

Cover of Weddings in Hampshire brochure
View the brochure online

In this section…