back search


Rights of Way

Rights of Way searches

What is a Rights of Way search?

A rights of way search will identify recorded public rights of way over a particular area of land. We charge a fee for this service. We will also check whether the land is affected by an application to amend the definitive map.

What do I get for my search?

We will normally reply by 1st class post, within seven working days. We will either confirm that no public rights of way are recorded over the search area, or provide a plan showing the public rights of way which cross, or run next to, your search area. In this case we will also tell you the status and identification number of the path(s) and state in simple terms what rights the public has over the path(s) shown on the search.


For searches taking less than one hour our fee is £47. Most searches relating to domestic property take less than an hour. For large areas you can request an estimate prior to the start of work. Subsequent time will be charged at £47 per hour.

How can I undertake a search?

We are currently unable to perform searches over the telephone or by email.

Fees for Highways Statements and Declarations under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 and for Landowner Statements under Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006

If you wish to submit a highway statement and declaration under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980, and/or a Landowner Statement under Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006, this will incur a fee of £47 per hour. The initial fee for submitting any combination of these documents is £188, based on estimated minimum of four hours’ work. This figure is currently under review and you are therefore advised to contact us on 0845 9035636

Where a deposit includes a large acreage or number of separate plots, there will be an additional charge at the standard hourly rate. We can provide an estimate of what this charge is likely to be when we first receive your deposit.  

Please submit your documents made under Section 31(6) or Section 15A(1) direct to the Countryside Access Team, at the address given above.  

See Protecting your land for information about these documents and information on how they should be prepared.


" "

In this section…