back search


Rights of Way

Policy Regarding the Use and Management of Motor Vehicles on Rights of Way and Unsurfaced Roads in the Countryside

Policy Statements

Explanation of terms

Motor Vehicles: Mechanically propelled vehicles, including cars, 4x4s, motorcycles, quadbikes, mini-motorbikes and mini motor scooters .

(Public) Rights of Way: Public footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways open to all traffic (‘BOAT’s). BOATs are the only rights of way (often without a sealed surface) which motor vehicles have a legal right to use, although they are mainly used by walkers, riders, cyclists and carriage drivers.

Unsurfaced Roads: In this context, this refers to Unclassified County Road (UCRs) without a sealed surface and where motor vehicular rights are known or presumed to exist. UCRs are highways recorded by the County Council as maintainable at public expense and believed by highway managers to be public carriage roads.

Traffic Regulation Order: An order to restrict, prohibit, or regulate the use of roads (including rights of way) by traffic (which can include cyclists, horse riders and walkers).

Private Use: Use of a route by farmers, landowners or those who hold private rights of access to property.

Definitive Map: The legal record of public rights of way. Hampshire County Council has a legal duty to keep this map under continuous review and to investigate applications (‘claims’) to modify it under section53(5) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Full Policy Report


In this section…