Sport Hampshire & IoW
Nationally, sport relies on 1.5 million volunteers, officials, coaches, administrators and managers. Volunteers are key to the success of sport in Hampshire & IOW, helping to drive participation and physical activity at a variety of levels.
Volunteering helps you:
- Develop new skills
- Gain real work experience
- Meet new people
- Support your community
Do more, Be more - What will you do this year?
Sport Hampshire & IOW supported by Hampshire County Council are pleased to announce our legacy plan for sports volunteers in Hampshire & IOW. We have taken on board the terrific feedback from our Games Makers and Sport Makers and incorporated their views into our action plan.
- Workforce - Games Makers, Sport Makers and all sports volunteers will be integrated into one SHIOW volunteering force known as ‘Do more, Be more’, with their core aim to provide volunteering opportunities to encourage people to ask ‘What will you do this year?’.
- Values - Our work is driven by the Olympic and Paralympic values of Friendship, Respect, Excellence, Determination, Inspiration, Equality and Courage.
- Induction - We aim to offer volunteers related and accessible induction events to welcome and provide information to help volunteers begin in their journey of volunteering.
- Inclusive - Everyone is welcome (16+) from existing volunteers and Games Makers to new volunteers and coaches from any background across the county. Together we can all contribute to the Olympic and Paralympics Legacy as part of a culture of equal opportunities.
There are many routes into volunteering:
- A new website has now been launched to replace Sport Makers, where you can log your hours and find volunteering opportunities in your area.
- Contact a local club - if you are interested in a particular sport.
- Contact your local Volunteer Centre. They help match individuals seeking volunteer roles to local opportunities.
- Do-it.org is the national database of all volunteering opportunities - for all ages and all opportunities - from sport, to the arts, working with animals and the elderly. Search for opportunities in your area.
- Community Games offers a support package for volunteers and community organisations to organise their own event to celebrate the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012 and 2013.