All new toys must be marked with
- The CE symbol (manufacturer's declaration that the toy meets all toy safety laws and standards).
- The name and address of the manufacturer or importer.
- Any relevant markings/precautions for use such as
- An age warning for toys not suitable for children under 3 (eg due to a choking hazard).
- Instructions for correct assembly and use (eg swings and slides).
- Whether toys require adult supervision or should only be used by children over a certain age.
- The need for protective equipment when using skates, skateboards, etc.
- Warnings for use in the water (eg rubber rings).
Instructions and warnings may be on the toys or their packaging. You should retain this information.
The 'Lion Mark'
The voluntary British Toy and Hobby Association 'Lion Mark' is often seen on toy packaging. All Association members' toys will comply with the legal safety rules.