Hampshire Trading Standards
Get the best deal on central heating oil
We’ve got some useful tips for you to become summer savers by getting the best deal for your oil.
There have been huge rises in prices charged by oil distributors, however there is no legislation to control fuel pricing. So is up to consumers to get the best deal for themselves. With better weather on its way, now is the time to think ahead to get the best deal.
Hampshire’s Trading Standards suggests
- Shop around. As with all purchases, it’s well worth calling different companies and getting quotes before placing an order for oil. Look at different company websites and try price comparison websites – but make sure they are independent.
- Consider buying more oil in the summer when prices may be lower during the warmer months.
- Think about starting a community buying group to buy oil in bulk.
- Do your best to ensure you receive the correct measure of oil you ordered by finding a way of measuring the fuel your tank before and after delivery (this is relatively straightforward if the tank is rectangular) and by being at home when the delivery arrives so you can supervise it and make sure the vehicle does not arrive with the ticket already in the meter.
- Once you’ve received a delivery, check the security of your tank, both for leaks and from theft. Consider an alarm and think about hiding the tank or making it difficult to get to.