back search


Hampshire Trading Standards

Licensing and Registration for Explosives

This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to traders. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

You need to apply for Registration if you wish to store a maximum of either

The quantities allowed do depend on individual locations (eg separation distances from other buildings, footpaths etc)

Most consumer fireworks, shotgun ammunition, marine distress flares etc are Hazard Type 4 explosives. If you are in any doubt consult your supplier.

If you wish to store more than the above quantities, up to a maximum of 2000 kgs of any Hazard Type, then you need to apply for a Licence.

However, if any of the explosives you wish to store require a Police Certificate under the Control of Explosives Regulations, you will have to apply to Hampshire Police, tel 01962 841500 (Firearms and Licensing Section) for registration or a licence.

To store quantities in excess of 2000 kgs of any Hazard Type you will have to apply to the Health and Safety Executive.

Licence and Registration Fees

Licences run from 1 October to the following 30 September.



Trading Standards
Montgomery House
Monarch Way
Winchester SO22 5PW

tel 01962 833620

In this section…