back search


Hampshire Trading Standards

Petroleum Licensing

We are the Petroleum Licensing Authority for Hampshire and for Portsmouth City but not the city of Southampton.

From 1 October 2014, The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 will replace the requirement to licence your petrol storage with a requirement to hold a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

If you require a PSC, your premises will be subject to an inspection by one of our team to ensure that they are suitable for storing petrol. The frequency of inspections is determined by a risk rating of your premises.

If you have any doubt as to whether you require a PSC you should use the Contact Form below. In brief, you will probably need a PSC if you store over 30 litres of petrol at home or if you have a business and dispense petrol mechanically or electrically into motor vehicles.

To apply, complete the Petroleum Certificate contact form

We will call you within 5 days to make an appointment to inspect your proposed storage.



Petroleum Officer
Hampshire Trading Standards
Montgomery House, Monarch Way
Winchester SO22 5PW

Petroleum Licensing contact form


You need to inform the Petroleum Officer of any fire, major spillage, or suspected leak at your site.

You are also required to give adequate notice of any changes you are considering to your site, including the fitting new equipment on the forecourt, change of ownership or closure.

Helping businesses with licences and regulations across Europe

In this section…