This fine painting of Mrs. Isabell Watts was produced around 1835, approximately 40 years before her death in February 1875. In her will, Mrs. Watts set up the Watts charity for Widows. An initial £500 was invested to provide for twelve "poor and deserving" widows of the parish of Fareham. The charity continued to provide funds as late as 1955. The date of the painting has been estimated from the style of clothing worn by Mrs. Watts, including her striking bonnet and 'leg-of -mutton' sleeves. Her ringlet curls are also typical of the period.
Oil on canvas