back search


Working for Hampshire County Council

More information about working in social work

To work in social care you don't need to be a Social Worker. Care Workers often do very similar roles to Social Workers. Care Workers do not need any qualifications to start their careers, although there are several opportunities to study (which Hampshire County Council will often support when employees start).

To be a Social Worker you need a degree. This will normally take 3 years full-time, although when you are then qualified as a Social Worker you will need to do a qualifying period (this will probably soon be statutory due to reviews that are ongoing.)

If you are an Hampshire County Council employee we can help with an 'Employment Based Route' to becoming a Social Worker (there is competition for this). If you are not an Hampshire County Council employee, there is no route for funding. leads you to more information about social care routes and careers.


In this section…