Field Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood VC GCB GCMG
General Officer Commanding at Aldershot, 1889 to 1893
Born on 9 February 1839, Evelyn Wood joined the Royal Navy as a midshipman in April 1852. He served in the Crimea and was badly injured in the assault on the Redan. He transferred to the Army in 1855 as a Cornetl, serving in the 13th Light Dragoons, and later served in the 17th Lancers, 1857, 73rd Regiment, 1862 and 90th Regiment, 1871. Wood served in the Indian Mutiny, 1858-60 and was awarded the Victoria Cross for action at Sindwater. He was promoted to the rank of Major General in 1881 and was Field Marshal by 1903.
Wood was responsible for recommending the reconstruction of South Camp in Aldershot and the replacement of the remaining huts in North Camp along improved lines. It was also Wood who recommended that each barrack should be named after a British victory.
Sir Evelyn Wood died at Harlow in Essex on 2 December 1919. He was brought back to Aldershot to be buried alongside his wife in the Military Cemetery